Security cameras decrease theft in some areas

Recently, the student body at De Soto High School has noticed the security cameras around the school. These cameras, along with officers watching over the halls during passing period may be criticized by some, but it’s all with good intent.

“I would say its a deterrent. Kids are aware now that they’re going to be more closely monitored,” Associate Principal Chuck Mahon said.

However, the only place where the amount of theft hasn’t taken a drop is where it can’t be monitored, the locker rooms.

Fortunately and unfortunately for the student body, the school can’t put cameras in the locker rooms, but that’s where people tend to put their most valuable items, like iPods, MP3s and cell phones.

According to Student Resource Officer Mark Leiker, stealing is sometimes a matter of convenience rather than taking something that they actually want.

“In all honesty, I think a lot of that is people don’t even need the stuff they take. It’s just they can’t stand that it’s there and it’s really nice,” Leiker said. “Whether they keep it for their own, or give it to a friend and say they bought it for them, I don’t know. It’s just a shame that it’s come to taking stuff from the people you go to school with, because I know for a fact if that was yours, you wouldn’t like it if someone came and took your stuff.”

These locker room thefts are on the rise from beginning of the school year. However, thefts as a whole have decreased since last year.

In spite of being a quieter year for theft than last year, student’s should make sure to lock up their valuables, technology and other possessions.