Iran’s nuclear ambitions

While most attention has been focused on the GOP primaries, another much more serious issue has come up: Iran.

Tensions with Iran go back to 1979, when Islamic radicals overthrew the United States supported and pro-Western Shaw, and instated the present regime.

Recently with the Iranian regime pursing a nuclear weapon the U.S. the European Union and their allies have put sanctions on Iran, in response the Iranians threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, a vital ship lane the one sixth of the world’s oil goes through.

Many world leaders and American politicians are calling for a preemptive strike on Iran to negate their nuclear program and the military threat to the global economy. With the U.S. just leaving one war it would have drastic effects on the home front were America to enter a new war, including on our area.

There are many opinions surrounding the Iran issue, including at De Soto High School.

“I have two mind sets. It’s nobody’s right to keep a nation from developing nuclear capabilities if they are willing to follow normal procedures and treaties. If not you don’t let them do it. If they are a nutcase then you do anything you can to keep them from developing one,” science teacher Tyler Euthon said.

DHS students also have varying opinions on the Iranian issue.

“I’m very much against that [Iran getting nuclear weapons] because the theocratical government of Iran is illogical and will attempt to destroy Israel regardless of the consequences,” junior Christian Sweeney said.

“I think that any country having nuclear weapons is unfortunate … and in a perfect world no one would have them,” senior Parker Riley said.

The issue may become an important part of the 2012 election, and could lead to yet another costly war for the US.