Scholars Bowl team wins Regional

De Soto High School’s Scholars Bowl team has been wildly successful this year and is on the fast track to another State title.

The varsity team has won almost every tournament they have competed in, the team took first place at League and Regionals and there are more players this year than DHS has ever had.

“Both teams have been great. So far, we have succeeded in all of our goals this year,” head coach Phil Hamilton said.

One goal the team had was to qualify for the State tournament. In order to qualify, the team had to place in the top three at Regionals on Feb. 2 at DHS.

At Regionals, the team went undefeated, even to St. James Academy, who almost beat DHS at Regionals the year before. This year, the teams faced each other twice, and each time, DHS won

with a combined point total of 230 to 10 for those two rounds.

At each competition, the team goes against another school, 5 on 5. Every question is worth 10 points. The point of the game is to test a team’s intellect and speed. The quickest, most knowledgeable team will take the title.

To practice for upcoming meets, the team reads from Time magazines for the current events questions and makes flashcards to study the five main categories: social science, math, science, language art and fine art.

On Feb. 11, the varsity team will travel to Wichita Collegiate High School to participate inState with hopes of bringing back a second straight State championship trophy. In its preperation, the team will keep its original goal in mind.

“Grow and learn. Win State. Enjoy our time together on the team,” Hamilton said.