Hillside members visit Kansas Natural History students

Science teacher Scott Sharp had a group of people come from the local nursing home, Hillside Village, to speak to his students on March 12. In his Kansas Natural History class they are studying land use and the amount of time spent outdoors previous compared to now.

When the Hillside Village residents arrived, they were each put with a few of Sharp’s students. The students had some questions prepared beforehand not only about the use of land in older times but also about the residents’ lives in general.

“It’s been really fascinating,” Sharp said. “It’s cool getting to hear all of these old stories.”

Senior Kate Jordan and junior Arren Galloway, were paired with an intriguing woman named Phyllis Broddle who is coming up on her 94 birthday in late July. She heard of this opportunity to come to De Soto High School when one member of the staff at Hillside approached her and a friend during lunch. Having previously been interviewed by a college student, Broddle jumped on the opportunity.

After she was paired with Galloway and Jordan, she told of her times as a school teacher and how “back then” the school board was hesitant as to whether or not to allow a married woman to teach because most likely they were scared she would get pregnant and they would have to find a replacement. She told of her family and her four children as well as what they grew up to become.

Each of Sharp’s students enjoyed learning what these people had to share and Sharp intends to continue doing this later in the future as well.