School spirit needs improvement

School spirit needs improvement

Let’s be real here, De Soto High School’s spirit sucks. Every year the school sponsors tons of different events that allow the entire student body to throw their cares aside and have fun. Spirit days, pep assemblies and games are meant for students create memories that will one day be told to your kids. The problems are that hardly anyone participates in anything and the ideas to promote spirit suck.

On a spirit day, you will see four different groups of students participating: the seniors who actually want to take advantage of their last year at DHS, the spirit squad and STUCO members who are forced to participate, the three juniors and sophomores who actually just want to have fun and the handful of freshmen who believe that everyone participates. With the exception of these people, the only group that truly has any school spirit is the band. Spirit days are dull and embarrassing, pep assemblies are boring and games are filled with a small amount of forced cheering by the few people who are actually paying attention.

The first step to fix this would be to make the spirit days and assemblies more creative. STUCO members and the class officers do a good job of planning events for the school, but many would appreciate it if more creativity and thought were put into the events. Seriously, who in their right mind would want to participate in Stoplight Day? The more creative these events are, the more people will want to participate and have fun.

The second step is to stop caring about what everyone else thinks and have fun!

Too many people these days are more concerned about the fact that they “look stupid” or that “other people will judge.” If you just stop worrying and have fun, no one will care about how stupid you look. You will get plenty of good memories out of it.

It is not that hard to throw on a hat for Hat Day or wear DHS shirt for Spirit Day. Clapping along to the beat of Wildcat Victory really doesn’t take much work either. If the student body simply puts a little bit more effort into participating in things, then high school can actually become enjoyable for a lot more people. So many other high school students show their pride by participating in everything that is offered to them and they all love it.

Next time there is a school event, put on your best excited face, dress up in a crazy costume and come to school ready to participate. Forget about how stupid you may look and suck it up and show  your spirit. I know everyone has a little bit of it.