Students must be treated equally

Double standards are a fact in society, and De Soto High School is no exception.

Many people might think that judging someone is very black and white — you’re either  judging someone or you are not — but there is a lot of gray area.

If a student is seen walking down the hallway with a leather jacket, or hair spikes, what would someone’s first thought about that person be? “That kid is a punk,” or “he’s bad news.” That is judgment. They are saying or thinking someone is a “bad kid” based on what they wear, instead of his or her personality.

Many are guilty of this — even teachers. Imagine two students in class. One is the “punk” with the spikes. The other is a straight-A cheerleader or a student council president who is involved in a lot of extra-curricular activities. The first student may be labeled as a “bad kid” on sight, the second is the “good kid.” Now, they both take out their phones. What will the teacher do? The school policy is clear: no phones or electronics in the classroom. But, hey, student number two is a good kid, right? It’ll slide. They’re probably doing something productive, anyway.

However, student number one is a bad kid. The teacher lashes out, takes the bad kid’s phone and gives him a detention. But because student number two is labeled as a “good kid,” it passes and no one says anything.

This situation is also common with tardies. If a student is deemed a “good kid,” he or she may not be counted tardy if he or she walks into class late. However, if a “bad kid” walks in late, he or she will often times be marked down for a tardy.

Additionally, students involved in more Pre-AP or AP classes will sometimes get better treatment from the teachers, rather than a student in grade-level classes. They will be seen as more intelligent and overall “better kids” than students who aren’t involved in more challenging courses.

This needs to stop. Teachers need to be equal in distribution of punishment. How a person is perceived has nothing to do with it. Teachers should either yell at everyone, or no one.