Bowling team starts season strong

On Jan. 19, the De Soto High School bowling team went to Royal Crest Lanes in Lawrence for a tournament. At this meet, they went head to head with Lawrence Free-State, Gardner- Edgerton and Lansing. The boys placed third and the girls placed third as well.

“The competition is really stiff. There’s some really good talent out there, and it showed us where we all need to be individually, and as a team,” said head boys’ bowling coach Jake Lorenzo.

The bowling team has been preparing for this and other meets since Jan. 5. They practice around four days a week to help the development of their skills.

“The boys are becoming very good at knocking a lot of pins down. I am seeing a lot of improvement from the girls. They are very coachable and dedicated,” said head girls’ bowling coach Meredith Boydston.

To create this desired improvement, the team must travel to Ranch Bowl in Kansas City, Kan., where they practice.

“The drive is quite long, but it gives us time to do our homework and still get the essential practice time. It really does not mess with our ability to practice,” sophomore Nathan Hess said.

Although their practice facility is nearly 40 minutes away, they do not let the extensive drive affect their practice time. They utilize what time they have to create a team bond.

“Bowling team is like a family. We have really started to grow a close bond through all of these practices,” sophomore Jordan Fisher said.

The team’s next meet is against Mill Valley, Blue Valley Southwest and Atchison at Park Lanes in Shawnee on Jan. 30.