Spring sports begin preparation for upcoming season: Softball

On Feb. 27, the De Soto High School softball team started off the season with the first day of tryouts.

Junior Allie Flinn describes the first day of tryouts as “tough, but everyone pushed through, and there is a lot of people coming out to play softball.”

The outlook for this season is bright. This year, compared to previous years, there has been an increase of freshmen with playing experience.

In addition, with a loss of only a few seniors from last year, the leadership and experience on the team remains strong.

“We only have one senior [MaKenzi Shackley] this year, and we have enjoyed watching her mature both on and off the field, and she is doing a great job of leading,” head coach Junelle Woolery said.

Shackley will be helping to lead the team, along with many returning juniors.

“My personal goal for the season is to remain constructive and have everyone help each other out while acting as a team,” Shackley said.

The team’s record last year was 17-4 with a loss to Sante Fe Trail in Regionals.

“Last year we were focused, but we let the pressure get to us and we played too tense,” Woolery said.

Every player and coach’s goal is set high. The girls are determined to improve upon last year’s record, and make it past Regionals.

“My goal for the season is to win State,” Flinn said.

Each year, the team’s success has increased progressively. This year, the team’s first game will be on March 29 against Baldwin. It will be both JV and varsity’s start to hopefully, a successful season.