Spring sports begin preparation for upcoming season: Track

Just as winter sports are wrapping up, spring sports are starting. Track and field practices started Feb. 27 and are everyday after school until around five. With the plethora of new members on the team, in addition to the veterans the coachs are hopeful for a successful season.

“We have a few returning state qualifiers that we are expecting big things from this year. Our team isn’t as experienced as last year’s group but we do have a lot of talent on this year’s team,” head coach Brian Dinkel said. “I think we will probably see results similar to what we saw last year. We have a few kids that are running well enough already that we expect them to place really high at the state meet.”

Some of the returning State qualifiers from last year include juniors Elise Miller and Angel Vasquez and seniors Philip Kaul and Jordan Kline.

Last year, the girls took third in league and 16th in State. The boys track took second in league and eighth in State. The two teams are hoping to do the same, or even better this year.

The first track and field meet is the Baldwin Relays meet and will take place on March 30.

“Track is really hard, especially if you’re out of shape, but it will all be worth it in the end. I’m looking forward to running in the first meet,” freshman Kelsea Burns said.

Track season will be interrupted by Spring Break. Participants have already made plans to practice over the break, in order to be prepared for the first meet.