Last year for DHS track captain

De Soto High School senior Philip Kaul is widely known for his academic accomplishments, which include a 36 on the ACT, National Merit Scholar Finalist and leading the DHS Scholars Bowl team to a State championship. He is also an athlete and his leading the DHS distance team this track season

“[Running] is an opportunity to stay in shape and to have a good time with friends and it requires mental focus and helps me stay focused,” Kaul said.

He also has many other activities including numerous AP classes, and leading the DHS band as a drum major, but he still finds time to run.

“I have to juggle activities but it’s worth it,” Kaul said.

As a senior this will be Kaul’s last year running with the DHS track and cross country teams, making this a bittersweet season.

“I had a great time with all of my teammates and running with them,” Kaul said.

He will be attending the University of Kansas, as a music education major next year, and hopes to become a high school music teacher. He still plans to continue with his athletics though.

“Yes, [I will continue running], not competitive, but I will enter races for fun,” Kaul said.